Tuesday, October 16, 2007

1997-2007

Time is running so fast. Cliche? Just the truth.

We have already lived through most of the year 2007. Almost nothing is as it used to be in the past. It came to my mind that many good things has started/been released right 10 years ago – in 1997, so I made myself a little sum up of 1997:

Games

In this year it was still quite easy to develop a game. Not many people were needed and if somebody told you he is working on a game for four years, you would laugh.

Microprose released the X-COM: Apocalypse - which I didn’t get to play then

Fallout released by Interplay - which I started to play 10 years later

Carmageddon - much criticized game

Grand Theft Auto – the first of revolutionary series

Age Of Empires

The Curse Of Monkey Island

Postal

CAC: Red Alert

Destruction Derby 2 – my uncle was always better in this one and it drove me mad

Duke Nukem 3D – yeah, ten years and we are still waiting for the next title to be never

released

Hexen_II

LBA2

Outlaws

Qake I, II – I was never a quake person. I dont know why.

Redneck Rampage - best game with chickens ever

SimCity 2000 – I loved to build my own city

Tomb Raider 2

Ultima Online - without the internet spread in our country? No wai!



Music

Album Homogenic from Icelandic singer Bjork was released

Death Cab for Cutie started their career

Madonna recorded album Ray of Light – the best album so far in my opinion

Muse formed

Coldplay formed

Eisley formed

Depeche Mode reformed

Spice Girls released their album Spice :D

Backstreet Boys released album Backstreet Boys :D

Portishead released also an album

Biggest hit singles

No Doubt – Don’t speak – on the 2nd place

Another hits: Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve, Eye - Smashing Pumpkins, Firestarter - The Prodigy,...



Films

Titanic – I have seen it in the cinema. Does it need any comment?

Jurassic Park – I think this meet my temporary obsession with dinosaurs :p

Men In Black – this was great movie…back then

Tomorrow never dies – wha..? It’s so old?

As good as it gets – Jack Nicholson, splendid. I remember watching this in the cinema with

my mom

The 5th Element – the best film ever

And many many others: Alien: Ressurection, Con Air, Cube, The End Of Evangelion, Event Horizon, The Game, Gattaca, Lost Highway, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Playing God, Scream 2, ...



Concerning me

Yeah I was just 10 years old. I remember my mom doing a party with balloons for me. Then I was still attending my drawing course. The teacher said I was a talent. I didn’t think so, but I have drawn tons of pictures. Some won the competitions, some were appreciated. But all are forgotten now.

I got my first PC. It was 486 and I ran Win 95 under that :P It kept crushing… what a surprise.

There was no sign of internet. No mobile phones. The only way how to communicate was an ordinary phone. I remember trying to speak with my uncle through 2 rooms by using a wire and two cups XD. It didn’t work.

At that time I was introduced to computer games. Ever since I saw Prince of Persia, I fell in love with games and couldnt stop myself thinking of them.

I am not sure whether it was at that time, but I used to read comics Donald Duck. I had tons of those. I just used to sit on my bed and read them again, again and again. My mother in background, doing the ironing and listening to Madonna – Ray of Light. And me, stupid, reading that bullshit over and over again. Where are the comics now? Far lost somewhere. I threw them away. What a relief.

Now I remember it was right in 1997 when I transferred to other basic school. The former one was absolute disaster. For the instance there was a nun who threatened 7 years old children that they would go to the hell. We had also a teacher who beated slower kids with a blackjack. There were crazy teachers. Yeah, and speak of the advantage, when you have your school 50 metres away from home.

Anyway, new school, new teachers. New children. Oh god, I still remember what it is like to walk like stranger to the class and sit there with all eyes lied on you. I got used to it, but one girl (who later became my “friend”) didn’t miss the chance to hit me in the face the very first day. I am still wondering why the hell I didnt return back. But honestly, later I was fighting my male classmates. I have never hesitated to punch them between legs. It was a tough year. Oh yeah, and I got my first B mark on the school report. Math of course. I have realized we wont be friends.

It seems for me now unbelievable, that I was once 10 years old. It won’t ever happen again, I cant go back in time. Sometimes I wish it would be possible. Well, but anyway, I am 20 now and in another ten years Ill be.... hush ^^;;

1 comment:

adam said...

damn, the nostalgia... :(